Thursday, December 22, 2011

Holiday Recipe: Caramels

I had mentioned on Facebook that I made these today. A few of my followers asked me to post the recipe so they could try them out. I hope you enjoy these soft and chewy candies. My family loves them this time of year.

Christine

~Caramel~

1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 cup butter
1 package (16 oz) brown sugar
1 cup light karo syrup
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Line a 8x8x2 inch or a 9x9x2 inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter foil. If desired, sprinkle with walnuts over the bottom of pan. Set pan aside. 

Melt butter in a 3 quart pan, low heat. Add brown sugar, light karo syrup and sweetened condensed milk. Mix well over medium-high heat until at a constant boil. Reduce heat to medium, stirring constantly until candy thermometer reaches 248F (firm ball stage), this should take about 15-20 minutes. Adjust heat as necessary to keep the mixture at a constant boil. Once the mixture has reached 248F take the pan off the heat plate, add vanilla, stir. Immediately pour mixture into your prepared pan. Let cool, cut in bite sized cubes, wrap in either plastic wrap or wax paper.  Stores up to two weeks.

*note*
Easily doubled, I made a double batch today and just put it in my large casserole dish (15x9 inch). I will be giving these out to my neighbors tonight.

1 comment: