Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Monday Morning Recipe: Wonderful Cheese Soup

I had to take down the Green Chili Chicken & Rice soup recipe b/c I had typed it up on my word program to make it easier to do the fractions and didn't know the bullet points I added would cause problems with IE (Internet Explorer) Browser.  Thank you for those who let me know.  I'll add that recipe back up once I can type it up again without the bullet points.

This recipe calls for a can of beer but, for those of you who do not drink beer/alcohol you can substitute it with water or chicken broth. I rarely have beer on hand at my house so I take the ounces of liquid that would have been the can of beer (12 ounces) and do half of them (6oz) water and the other half (6oz) chicken broth.

Wonderful Cheese Soup

½ cup butter
½ cup EACH: diced onion, celery and green pepper
1 cup diced carrot
2 cloves garlic, minced

Saute first 6 ingredients in a skillet until tender.

¾ cup flour
3 cans (14 oz) chicken broth
2 cans water

1 can beer
1 c diced raw potatoes (I use about 2-3 c instead)
1 lb. Velveeta cheese - diced

Add flour and brown. Place chicken broth, water & beer in a large soup pot. Stir in vegetable mixture. Add potatoes and Velveeta to pot. Cook over low heat until potatoes are done - usually about an hour. Taste for seasoning and add salt/pepper if desired (I never do). 

No comments:

Post a Comment